In 1889/1900 the partnership of Maclean, Doughty & Co., was dissolved with Henry Doughty taking four steamers with him. He formed Doughty & Co,. in 1900 and changed the name to Doughty Shipping Co. Ltd. in 1901. Doughty also managed ships for the British Government during WW1. The company lost four steamers during WW1 and went out of business in 1919.
Family History:
Henry Doughty was born in 1859 at Middlesbrough. In the early 1890’s he volunteered and became captain in the 4th Battalion of the Durham Light Infantry and reached the rank of major. In 1881 Henry was living at Stranton and was listed as a commercial clerk in a shipping office. By 1891 He was living at Seaton Carew. In April 1908 he was given command of the newly organised Durham Royal Garrison Artillery and retired with the rank of Lieutenant Colonel in May 1909. Henry joined the Board of Directors of Hartlepool Gas and Water Company in 1916. He moved to Harrogate, probably after 1919.
Henry died on 13 July 1927 at Harrogate and was interred at Harlow Cemetery. In his will, apart from £12,000 in bequests, the majority of £315,855 was given to various charities.
More detail »Listed here are the ships of various companies at least partly owned by William Maclean. These include Groves, Maclean & Co., Maclean, Doughty & Co., and Maclean & Co.
In 1868 William set up his own office in Victoria Terrace in partnership with James Groves as coal and timber exporters. James had owned or had shares in six ships between 1848 and 1872. Groves, Maclean & Co., purchased their first steamer James Groves which was launched in 1871 and completed in 1872. The steamer was lost in 1875 and they purchased another steamer of the same name.
James Groves died in 1881 and in 1888 Henry Doughty joined William Maclean and Groves, Maclean & Co. became Maclean, Doughty & Co. The partnership was dissolved in 1889/1900 with Henry taking four steamers with him. William Maclean carried on trading under Maclean & Co. until their last steamer, Duart, was sunk in 1918.
Family History:
William Maclean was born on 6 September 1832 near Aberfeldy, Perthshire, Scotland to parents James and Ann (nee Anderson). He spent time in Edinburgh, Scarborough and London before arriving in the Hartlepool area. In 1861 he was living at Seaton Carew and listed as a gentleman. Sometime in the early 1860’s he went to work in the offices of George Lockwood and Son, coal merchants in Stockton-on-Tees.
On 26 March 1866 William married Clara Hogg at Tynemouth and by 1871 the family were living at Scarborough Street with William listed as a coal exporter. In 1881 they were living at Wellington Street, Stranton and William was now listed as a shipowner. 1891 saw the family living at Grantully House which they had built in Westbourne Road. (The house later became a maternity hospital) In 1909 the family had moved to Lochbuie House in Harrogate where William died on 12 July 1920 at the age of 87 leaving effects of £109,011. On his death he was described as a ‘fine old English Gentleman’.
In 1875, William was a founding member of the Hartlepool Shipowners Society whose other committee members included George Horsley and Thomas English Pyman. He also became a Trustee of Hartlepool Hospital, was involved with Cameron Hospital, founder and secretary of the Hartlepool Chamber of Commerce and one of the original bench members of the local Borough Magistrates.
William Share Maclean was born to William and Clara on 2 July 1873 at Hartlepool. He was married in 1902 at Easington to Georgina Elliot Hall. By 1909, when his father had retired, William had joined the company.
William died on 17 August 1934 leaving assets of £51,086.
James Groves was born on 14 February 1824 at Whitby to parents Robert Hugill and Esther Mary (nee Eskdale). By 1861 he was living at Albion Terrace, Hartlepool with his wife Hannah (nee Doughty) whom he married at York on 1 September 1852. By 1881 he was living at Billingham and was listed as a magistrate and Alderman of the Borough of Hartlepool.
James died on 21 December 1881 at Billingham Hall aged 57 leaving a personal estate of £16,464. James bequeathed £150, the income to be distributed at Christmas among all the fishermen who might at the time be natives of and residents in Hartlepool, and not less than fifty years of age. The charity came into operation on the death of the testator's widow in 1900, but owing to an insufficiency of assets a sum of £127 3s. 9d. only was paid, which was invested in £138 8s. 8d. consols, producing £3 9s. a year.
More detail »
(No. 7056.)
"MONESS (S.S )."
The Merchant Shipping Act, 1894.
IN the matter of a formal investigation held at the Municipal Buildings, West Hartlepool, in the County Borough of West Hartlepool, on the 26th and 27th days of March, 1907, before ROBINSON MURRAY and JOHN PETER FEA, Esquires, two of His Majesty's Justices of the Peace for the County Borough of West Hartlepool, assisted by Captains WILLIAM G. B. MELVILLE and JENKIN THOMAS, into the circumstances attending the stranding of the British steamship "MONESS" near Halten Islands, Norway, on or about the 12th February, 1907.
Report of Court.
The Court, having carefully inquired into the circumstances attending the above-mentioned shipping casualty, finds for the reasons stated in the annex hereto, that the serious damage to the s.s. "Moness" was caused by the wrongful act and default of the master, Peter Dalziel, but taking into consideration his previous exceptionally good service suspends his certificate for a period of three months only from this date.
Dated this 27th day of March, 1907.
R. MURRAY, JOHN P. FEA, Justices. We concur in the above Report. WM. G. B. MELVILLE, J. THOMAS, Assessors.
Annex to the Report.
This was an inquiry into the circumstances attending the stranding of the British steamship "Moness," and was held at the Municipal Buildings, West Hartlepool, on the 26th and 27th days of March, 1907, before Robinson Murray and John Peter Fea, Esquires, two of His Majesty's Justices of the Peace for the county borough of West Hartlepool, assisted by Captains William G. B. Melville and Jenkin Thomas, nautical assessors. Mr. Percy Corder, solicitor, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, appeared for the Board of Trade, Mr. H. Temperley, solicitor, of Messrs. Botterell, Roche & Temperley, West Hartlepool, for the owners and master. Mr. Christopher Spoors, the second officer, appeared in person but was not professionally represented.
The s.s. "Moness," official number 97380, was a British screw steamship, schooner rigged, built of steel at South Shields in 1889 by Messrs. John Readhead & Sons, South Shields, and registered at the port of West Hartlepool. Her dimensions were: length, 290.5 feet; breadth, 39.1 feet; depth of hold from tonnage deck to ceiling at midships, 20.2 feet. She was of 2293.58 gross and 1451.95 net registered tonnage, and was fitted with triple expansion engines of 250 N.H.P. She was owned by Mr. William Maclean and others. Mr. William Maclean, of West Hartlepool, designated managing owner, advice received 3rd day of December, 1889.
She had 4 compasses, 3 were in position, a standard on the upper bridge by which the courses were set and the vessel navigated, one in the wheelhouse in front of the hand steering gear by which she was steered in fine weather, one on the poop in front of the after steering gear, and a spare one not in use. They were all in good order and sufficient for the safe navigation of the vessel. There was no evidence before the Court, as to when and by whom they were last adjusted, but the master stated that they were examined by Ainsley at South Shields in September last. There were no deviation cards on board and the master stated that he found the compasses showed correct magnetic on all courses. The vessel was well supplied with charts and sailing directions of recent date. She had 4 boats, 2 of which were lifeboats. There were 6 life buoys and about 26 lifebelts, and on the voyage in question she was well found in every respect.
The s.s. "Moness" left Stavanger on the 9th February, 1907, in water ballast, bound for Narvik, under the command of Mr. Peter Dalziel and a crew of 22 hands all told, and two Norwegian pilots who were to assist in the navigation of the vessel through the fiords from Stavanger to Narvik and back to Stavanger. Her draught of water being 12 feet aft and 8 feet 6 inches forward. At 9.30 p.m. of the 12th February last, the weather being fine and clear with a moderate breeze, Tarve Island Light was abeam and distant 3 miles by a 4-point bearing, a course N.N.E. was then set, but the master was not on deck at this time to see if it was a safe and proper course, there being no deviation on the compass.
The vessel was kept full speed on this course, no allowance was made for leeway tide and currents, and it was considered by the pilot as the best course to pass to the eastward of Halten Island. This was manifestly wrong. The vessel was continued on the N.N.E. course at full speed (about 9 knots), weather fine and clear but dark with sea smooth. At 9.45 p.m. Halten light was sighted a little on the starboard bow. At 10.30 p.m. a white occulting light was seen on the port beam, which the second officer reported to the pilot, who said it was not necessary to take a bearing of it; the pilot at this time altered the course to N.E. by N., and at 10.45 p.m. he again altered it to N.N.E. 1/2 E., the course of N.E. by N. brought Halten light a little on the port bow. While the vessel was on a N.N.E. 1/2 E. course going full speed, the second officer saw land on the starboard bow about one mile off and reported it to the pilot who ordered the engines full speed astern and the helm hard-a-starboard when the vessel struck on the west side of Gimsan Island, at or about 11.15 p.m., of the 12th February last, and broke two blades of her propeller short off, one half off and one the tip off. At 8.45 p.m. the master (without leaving with the second officer any orders to call him when Halten Island light was sighted, the only order left being to call him if the pilot wanted him) went below in the cabin aft, and very indiscreetly remained there until 11.15 p.m. when the vessel first stranded.
In the opinion of the Court this was a wrongful default on the master's part which led to the casualty. At 11.15 p.m. when she first stranded, the master at once came on deck and went forward on the bridge; he found the pilot there and asked him about the position of the vessel; he said he did not know, but he thought she was on the east side of the channel. The master could see Halten light and was not satisfied with the vessel's position, he concluded that she was to the westward and advised the pilot to port the helm and get out into the channel. The master took a bearing of Halten Island and went aft to the cabin in the poop (where the charts were kept) to verify the vessel's position on the chart, but before he had time to return to the bridge, the pilot ordered the engines full speed ahead and the helm still hard-a-starboard; the vessel came off again into deep water and turned round 18 1/2 points, and when her head was steadied on south, she stranded on a sunken rock about 1 mile west of Gimsan Island at 11.30 p.m. The engines were then put full speed astern and continued for about an hour until it was found the tide was falling. Rockets were sent up and blue lights burnt to attract attention. Between the time of stranding and next high water there was no leakage of any consequence. Nos. 1 and 2 ballast tanks were pumped out so as to have a better chance of floating. The master got into communication with the shore, and the next attempt to get the vessel off was made at high water on the 13th February last, the engines being worked full speed astern for an hour but failed to move her. Assistance came on the night of the 13th, the small steamer "Krown Printz Olaf" was the first to render assistance.
The next attempt to get her off was made early on the morning of the 14th by the vessel's engines and the "Krown Printz Olaf." Another attempt was made the following high water on the 14th. Nos. 1 and 2 tanks were then leaking and the water in No. 2 hold was level with the water outside and could not be kept under with the engine room pumps. On the 14th February, 1907, at 1.30 p.m. a salvage boat arrived and the salvors examined the vessel. The salvors then reported to the effect that they could do nothing to salve the vessel without assistance, and that she would sink before she could be taken to any place of safety to be beached. The crew remained by the vessel until 6 p.m. of the 14th, and stood by until 8 a.m. of the 15th when it was decided to abandon her. The master, crew and pilots were safely landed at Trontheim at 6 p.m. of the 15th. No lives were lost.
At the conclusion of the evidence, Mr. Corder submitted the following questions for the opinion of the Court:
(1) What number of compasses had the vessel, were they in good order and sufficient for the safe navigation of the vessel, and when and by whom were they last adjusted?
(2) Did the master ascertain the deviation of his compasses by observation from time to time, were the errors correctly ascertained and the proper corrections to the courses applied?
(3) Was the vessel supplied with proper and sufficient charts and sailing directions?
(4) Were proper measures taken to ascertain and verify the position of the vessel at or about 9.30 p.m. of the 12th February last, was a safe and proper course then set and thereafter steered and was due and proper allowance made for tide and currents?
(5) Were safe and proper alterations made in the course at or about 10.30 and 10.45 p.m. of the 12th February last and was due and proper allowance made for tide and currents?
(6) Was a good and proper lookout kept?
(7) Was the master on deck at a time when the navigation of the vessel required his personal supervision?
(8) Where and upon what did the vessel strike at or about 11.15 p.m. of the 12th February last? Were prompt and proper measures then and thereafter taken for the safety of the ship?
(9) Where and upon what did the vessel strand at or about 11.30 p.m. of the 12th February last?
(10) What was the cause of the stranding of the vessel? Was she seriously damaged thereby?
(11) Was the vessel navigated with proper and seamanlike care?
(12) Was serious damage to the s.s. "Moness" caused by the wrongful act or default of the master and second officer or of either of them?
(13) What was the value of the vessel when she last left the United Kingdom, and what insurances were effected upon and in connection with her?
Mr. Temperley having addressed the Court on behalf of the owners and master, the Court replied to the questions as follows:
(1) The vessel had 4 compasses, 3 were in position as follows: A Standard compass on the bridge by which the courses were set and the vessel navigated, 1 in the wheelhouse in front of the hand. steering gear by which the courses were steered in fine weather, 1 on the poop in front of the hand steering gear, and a spare one not in use; they were in good order and sufficient for the safe navigation of the vessel. There is no evidence before the Court as to when and by whom they were last adjusted, but the master stated that they were examined by Ainsley at South Shields in September last.
(2) The master did ascertain the deviation of his compasses by observation from time to time. The errors were correctly ascertained and the proper corrections to the courses were applied.
(3) The vessel was supplied with proper and sufficient charts and sailing directions.
(4) Proper measures were taken to ascertain and verify the position of the vessel at or about 9.30 p.m. of the 12th February last. A safe and proper course was not then set and thereafter steered. No allowance was made for tide and currents.
(5) Safe and proper alterations were not made in the course at or about 10.30 and 10.45 p.m. of the 12th February last. No allowance was made for tide and currents.
(6) A good and proper lookout was kept.
(7) The master was not on deck at a time when the navigation of the vessel required his personal supervision.
(8) The vessel struck upon a rock on the west side of Gimsan Island at or about 11.15 p.m. of the 12th February last. Prompt and proper measures were then taken, but not thereafter, for the safety of the vessel.
(9) The vessel stranded upon rocks about 1 mile west of Gimsan Island at or about 11.30 p.m. of the 12th February last.
(10) The stranding of the vessel was caused by the setting and steering of an unsafe and improper course from Tarve Island and the master not being on deck to ascertain and verify the position of the vessel when the light on Halten Island was sighted. The vessel was seriously damaged thereby.
(11) After 9.30 p.m. of the 12th February last, the vessel was not navigated with proper and seamanlike care.
(12) The serious damage to the s.s. "Moness" was caused by the wrongful act and default of the master, Peter Dalziel, but taking into consideration his previous exceptionally good service, the Court suspends his certificate for a period of three months only from this date.
(13) There was no evidence before the Court as to the value of the vessel. The insurances effected upon her were £17,000 on hull and machinery and £1750 on chartered freight.
R. MURRAY, JOHN P. FEA, Justices. We concur. WM. G. B. MELVILLE, JENKIN THOMAS, Assessors.
(Issued in London by the Board of Trade on the 7th day of May, 1907.)
Completed December 1889; Official No. 97380: Code Letters LKTH: well-deck; steel screw steamer; 1451; 2236g; 290.5 x 30.1 x 20.2; engine 250nhp T.3.Cy 22, 36 & 60 -39 160lb 90lb; John Readhead, South Shields.
Owners: 1889 Maclean, Doughty & Co. West Hartlepool; 1900 W. Maclean & Co. West Hartlepool..
Masters: 1889-95 J Boyle; 1899 J O’Sullivan; 1906 CH Jenkins.
More detail »